Lehigh University has long been defined by its outstanding faculty. Alumni of all ages and fields of study remember the experiences they had with professors who inspired them, challenged them to face the toughest questions head-on, and encouraged them to take risks in the pursuit of new discoveries.
As competition intensifies among universities for the very best teacher-scholars who are both committed to their research and passionate about engaging students, Lehigh seeks to endow an unprecedented number of new chairs and fellowships in order to dramatically expand the university’s capacity for impact and increase its visibility and reputation. Endowed chairs and professorships attract talented faculty, who augment our intellectual vitality and build strength in key academic areas.
Chairs and professorships carry support for faculty professional activities and the stature and honor of a named position.
- Endowed faculty chairs allow Lehigh to reward high achievement beyond the rank of full professor. Endowment income provides for the salary of distinguished faculty members in addition to other professional development needs such as equipment, library resources, and professional travel.
- Endowed professorships enable the University to support more fully the teaching and research of an outstanding early to mid-career faculty member, including visiting professors and professors of practice. Endowment income may support salary, benefits, and professional development.
- Endowed faculty development funds promote the visibility of Lehigh's scholarly activities by supporting professional development activities our faculty members undertake to continue to build their reputation in research, scholarship, and creative activities.
Endowment Funding Levels
- Endowed Faculty Chair - $2.5 to $5.0 million
- Endowed Faculty Professorship - $1.0 to $2.4 million
- Endowed Faculty Development Fund - -$100,000 to $500,000
For more information, contact the Office of Advancement at (800) 523-0565.